How can an abuser discover your internet activities?
As you surf the internet, the browser you use will automatically save certain information about your activities. This can include everything from images on the websites you have visited and any information or search queries entered into search engines that is then saved as your History. The browsers collect this information to make your browsing experience better, meaning you don’t have to continually enter login details for example – however it also accessible by anyone who knows where to look. This means it is important for you to know how to clear your History if you don’t want anyone to know you have accessed this, or any other domestic violence related website.
A browser is the programme you are using to access the internet, the most common are Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari – you can see the respective logos for each of these below:
If you are not sure what browser you are using, then visit What Browser? and it will tell you. See below for how to delete your History for the aforementioned browsers.
- Click Tools menu and select Internet Options
- In the General Options tab under the Browsing History section, tick the box that says Delete browsing history on exit.
- Then click the Delete button next to the tick box, tick all the boxes and click delete at the bottom.
- Click on the Content tab at the top, click the Settings button under Autocomplete and click the Delete AutoComplete history button.
- Click on Tools and then Options.
- Click the Clear button next to Cache and Saved Form Information
- Click on the three grey lines in the top right corner of your window, then click History.
- Click the Clear browsing data button at the top of the screen.
- Change the option at the top to a time you think is appropriate (the beginning of time might look suspicious).
- Tick all the boxes then click the Clear browsing data button at the bottom and close the History tab.
- Click on Safari in the top right corner of your screen
- Select Clear History and Website Data
- You can then change the option to a time you think is appropriate (the beginning of time might look suspicious).
It is best to use a password to log in to your computer, if you don’t then anyone is able to use your computer and track your internet usage. The best way to find information and guidance on the internet is to use a computer at a local library, work or a friend’s house.